Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Biggest Loser

Is anyone watching The Biggest Loser? The new season began this week. I had not watched the entire show before, catching an episode on occassion... Kathi, my trainer the Ironwoman (competing in her 5th Ironman competition this year!) watches the show, so I decided I would tune in.

The one thing that struck me, besides heaps of compassion for all these people who are so overweight, was all of the yelling!?!?! Personally, I am not motivated by someone yelling at me. In fact, quite the opposite is true for me. So I was fascinated and, at the same time, very uncomfortable with all the yelling!!!

The other thing that blew me away is that the weight loss for their frist week at "The Ranch" ranged from 14 pounds up to 34 pounds (I think I got the numbers correct). How can a human body shed that much weight in 7 days? I focus, eat right and exercise and am happy when I shed 1-1.5 pounds in a week!!!

A final note on a commercial they aired. Evidently, one of the past winners has regained all of his weight and then some. The commercial showed him saying things like "they never teach you what to do once you leave the ranch". All I have to say about that is that after exercising for God knows how many hours a day and calculating every single calorie that goes into your mouth for however long the shows lasts....if after all that, a person doesn't figure out that the equation to a healthier body is to move more and eat less and eat the right foods...if you don't learn it after all that effort, then that person is simply not being accountable for their own self! (sorry for the run on sentence!)

Personal accountability is KEY for a healthier self. We have control over our own body, what we choose to eat, how we choose to move, how much sleep we get, how much water we drink, if we choose to treat ourselves well and honor ourselves or not! NO ONE can do that for you. You have to do it for yourself!

Desire, dedication and discipline - you are worth it! Be good to yourself! Make good choices today!

No comments:

Post a Comment