Saturday, July 24, 2010

Weigh? No Weigh!

The age old love affair (not!) with the scale! For a long time I managed to avoid weighing myself. I even turned around when I was weighed at the doctor's office. I associated the number on the scale with judgment and failure. When in fact....the number on the scale is simply a number on the scale. It tells us where we are on that measurement tool. It indicates a point in time. And, yes, it is a leading indicator of health. I know that people do not have to be bone thin to be healthy, but greater health does positively correlate with lower weights, in most cases.

In fact, many thin people are decidedly unhealthy, with no cardovascular health, an absence of healthful nutrition, no flexibility and lousy coping mechanisms for stress. I am not talking about them. They have their own journey if they so choose.

I guess I am still talking about me, and maybe it resonates with you. When I decided to embark on my journey, I took out the scale, dusted it off and placed it in a position of prominence in my bathroom. I had a talk with the scale (really I did) :-) and decided it represented an important partner in my plan to shed unhealthy pounds from my frame. So this health partner and I get naked at least once a week and go for it....as in stepping on the scale!

I know many people who weigh daily. If that works for you, then do it. If not, determine a frequency that works for you and honor it. It actually becomes interesting to see the fluctuations from weigh in to weigh in. For me the numbers mostly slowly slide down. On occassion there is a slight uptick, which is good to know because it likely means an adjustment would be a good idea. Enough water? Enough sleep? Enough attention to food intake?

I have even made an appointment to get measured in a dunk tank. I am interested to see my true body fat percentage, not just what the scale says. Should be interesting. I will let you know how it goes.

So, is my scale my new BFF? Heavens no! But I have made peace with this device and actually appreciate the value it adds to my journey. BTW, I am also monitoring my waist size. Dr. Oz says that a waist size of 35 inches or below is a good health indicator. I have shed more than 10 inches from my waist measurement and it is well below 35 inches. So glad of that!

So, if you do not already incorporate weigh ins, please consider doing it. Remember the number on the scale does not define you, it is simply one way to monitor a healthful indicator.

Desire to do all you can do to be healthy. The discipline to determine your schedule and honor it. Determination to stay with your journey because you are worth it!

1 comment:

  1. Well, girlie-girl...I'm so moved by this post! I'm choked up & tearing up and sooo proud of you! This is the BEST expression of a "scale-friendly-process" I've ever read! Thanks for sharing your story and for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete