Sunday, July 7, 2013

National Donut Day.....Not So Much!

Some of you may know that on 4th of July, Allen and I celebrate by eating donuts.  It is the only day of the year that we allow ourselves to have donuts.  We have been doing this for years.  We always look forward to it, Allen loves a plain crueler and a maple bar.  I look forward to glazed donut holes and an apple fritter, where I pick off the crust on the outside and leave the doughy middle. 

In some ways, last Thursday was not a great success.  We arrived at our favorite little donut shop only to find they had sold out of glazed donut holes.  So we raced to another nearby, albeit untested, donut shop to buy the glazed donut holes.  They had them, but they were not true donut holes.  Instead they were small pieces of dough that had been fried and glazed.  They were larger than a "real" donut hole, so the dough to glaze ratio was off and they did not taste as good.  Apparently, so many of the donuts that are being made at this time are not round with a hole in the middle.  There are more bars, filled, twist and other designs.  Hence the shortage of real donut holes.

I have to say that I enjoyed the bits off of the apple fritter, and I did enjoy half of a cinnamon roll.  But what I really craved, the perfect glazed donut hole, alluded me this year.

We enjoyed our off-plan calories, went home and took a nap.  When I woke up, I felt sick.  I think it was all the sugar and fat my system was trying to process.  We took a nice walk and that helped make me feel better.

The best part of this year's National Donut Day is that I am not motivated to want to do it again next year.  I did not like feeling that icky.  So, I guess it was a big success after all!  Isn't it wonderful when we get a lesson from an unexpected source?!?!  I hope you all had a wonderful 4th of July 2013 and enjoyed it in a way that honored you!

Desire to celebrate.  Dedication to honoring our traditions. Discipline to listen to our body when it is teaching us a lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment