Sunday, September 23, 2012

Brussel Sprouts on a Stick!!!

Brussel sprouts on a stick sounds like something deep fried at a county fair, right?  It brings to mind...corn dogs on a stick and all the other super unhealthy food that is inedible! 

Well, yesterday, my hubbie went to Trader Joe's to pick up a few things on our list.  In the produce section, they were selling fresh stalks of brussel sprouts that had not yet been harvested from the "stick" or stalk it grows on.  He brought me home 2 full stalks.  I was over the moon happy!!!

While he was in Trader Joe's, I was in Jimbo's, our local organic "health food" store.  Brussel sprouts were on my list because I wanted to roast them as snacks to watch today while I watch the Emmy arrivals (yes, I am back to eating very healthy to shed my vacation jelly belly!).  Jimbo's had brussel sprouts.........are you ready.......wait for it.......at $7.99 a pound!!!!!  So, needless to say, I did not buy them.  Too rich for  my blood!

Imagine my surprise when Allen said "I bought you a present!".  And imagine my subsequent delight when he presented me with 2 stalks of fresh brussel sprouts!  Hurray.  The real back story is that he does not like brussel sprouts, so much so, that when we married, I had to promise to love, honor cherish and promise to never bring brussel sprouts (or cauliflower) into the house. (His Mom used to murder brussel sprouts and cauliflower and he is not ready to let go of those food memories.)  Over the past 25 years, we have made great strides!  Now he is buying me brussel sprouts!  YOOOO-HOOOO!

As I type this post, I have 3 trays of veges roasting in the oven - brussel sprouts, onions and butternut squash.  Not only will I have great healthy munching for the Emmy arrivals show, I willl have yummy roasted veges to go with my dinner all week long!

Desire to snack while watching a favorite TV show. Dedication to preparing something nutritious.  Discipline to get right back on the healthy eating horse.

No comments:

Post a Comment