Friday, May 18, 2012

Routines Work!

I am writing this on Friday, the end of my first week at my new job.  Things have been going super well.  I am being treated "like a rock star".  Seriously - super nice boss, super nice staff, super nice team members, super nice office and super work to be done......definitely a happy honeymoon period!

I committed to renew my disciplined eating pattern beginning on day one.  There is just something about the symbolism of making a fresh start.  So, on my first day, there was a team celebration dinner.  I was very happy with myself - did not touch the bread basket, had the tiniest splash of wine, no starch with dinner, and did not touch the gooey desert on the table.  Success!

Day two was a team offsite where I was able to continue with the discipline. Plus the meeting was only 1.3 miles from my house so I choose to walk instead of drive followed by spinning in the evening. Success!  I set up my office with a healthy selection of appropriate snacks.  Success! 

The rest of the week has been full of success too. One of the reasons is because of the opportunity to inject fresh discipline into a fresh situation.  The other reason, I believe is because my body and mind like routine and I am establishing a new routine and new rhythm.  This is not to say that I can't manage through change and adapt.  Goodness knows that change is all around us and is the norm, not the excpetion.  Still, it is more supportive to be able to function within a routine and use adaptive skills to manage change. 

Managing and disciplining our eating is, I believe, the most important factor in achieving and  maintaining a healthy weight.  This is so much more achieveable when we can establish a routine to provide the nourishment at regular intervals, with consistent nutrients and with appropriate reinforcement.  So, look at your life.  Can you establish a routine that supports and nourishes your body and mind?  Try it.  You just might like it!

Desire to establish a supportive routine.  Dedication to navigate life's inevitable changes.  Discipline to create support mechanisms for both routine and change.

1 comment:

  1. Seriously, the "discipline" D is GREAT this week! My favorite routine??? Reading 'Patty's Healthy Journey' every week!!!

    ReplyDelete