Sunday, December 5, 2010

A New Source of New-trition!

I began juicing to increase the phytonutrients in my body to set myself up for positive healing following my surgery this Tuesday. There is all sorts of research that says that juicing increases our ability to heal...so I bought a juicer, loaded up on organic produce and started! It is fun! It is delicious! It is filling! I replace one meal a day with fresh organic juice. Yesterday at lunch I had beet and apple juice - delicious! Breakfast has been tomato, celery, spinach, celery and carrot - YUM-O! I realize there are calories, so I just incorporate them into my daily nutrition.

I bought the Jack Lalane juicer ( I am not trying to sell you one!). I am pleased with the performance. It has a pulp catcher. The instructions from the machine suggest saving the pulp and cooking with it. So far, I made a turkey meatloaf with vege pulp mixed in. I loved it! Truth in advertising - my hubbie did not love it. He ate it, but did not ask for it to be made again. :-) Tonight, I will stir vege pulp into my homemade turkey soup (from the Thanksgiving carcass). It is supposed to add a fullness to the clear broth. I look forward to the experiment.

Apple pulp tastes delicious all by itself - almost applesauce! Carrot pulp bakes right into muffins, although I have not baked muffins yet. Same with zucchini pulp.

Of course, I try to balance the vege and fruit carbs with lean protein. The vege juices have fewer carbs/sugars than the fruit juices.

LMK if you have experience with juicing! I would love to hear your thoughts!

Desire to heal quickly and completely. Dedication to follow through with a new nutrition element. Discipline to clean the juicer after every use! :-)

1 comment:

  1. Yay for the new Jack Lalanne juicer!!!Loved it when I discovered cukes to juice...mellows out lots of greener stuff, like kale and chard and easy to spiff up with cilantro and a small (est) piece of jalapeno...Really! Yeah, I may have to go juice some with celery for myself just describing it to you! Drumming for your Tuesday health journey...with love!

    ReplyDelete