Sunday, December 8, 2013

Are You Getting Enough Sleep?

Not just now during this very busy season, but all throughout the year?  So many times, getting enough sleep surfaces as a critical success factor for reaching and maintaining a healthy weight.  I know this is an ongoing challenge with my healthy journey.  My sleep patterns are all &$#+ed up.  This week was a particularly notable week of bad sleep due to an unbelievably busy week at work.  My mind simply doesn't shut off for long enough.  I fall asleep easily and well.  But I tend to wake up 4-5 hours later and finish the night with tossing and turning. After 4 nights of sleep deprivation, it is harder to function well.  It is enough to drive me crazy.  There is no doubt in my mind that the added stress of sleep deprivation impedes my ability to easily shed weight.

I have tried everything short of sleep drugs.  I just can't bring myself to do drugs.  Restorative yoga, herbal teas, warm relaxing baths, reading, no TV in the bedroom (never had on in the bedroom, don't believe in it), light dinner, avoid caffeine, no sugar near bedtime, going to bed and waking up at a similar time each day and so much more. 

BUT once in a while there is a fabulous reward, like yesterday.  It rained in San Diego much of the day and my hubbie and I got under the covers in the late afternoon, read a little bit, then took a nap.  IT WAS A LITTLE SLICE OF HEAVEN! 

My happy holiday wish for you all is that you find a way to enjoy some blissful, much needed, hard earned rest and relaxation.  It is the best gift you can give yourself!

Desire to sleep well.  Dedication to keep trying ideas to get me there.  Discipline to do all the right things for peaceful sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment