Saturday, August 24, 2013

Summer Tomatoes - YUM-O!

A dear friend of mine, Nancy, gave me another bag of delicious home grown summer tomatoes today. They are juicy, sweet, colorful (shades of red, yellow, purple...) and unbelievably flavorful!  They should have a different name than the tomatoes sold in the grocery store.  My parents are also growing tomatoes this year and we have had some of theirs too!

Today for lunch I washed the little baby tomatoes and tossed them with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, chopped swiss chard and spinach.  I had a big ol' pile of that for lunch followed by a piece of a Santa Claus melon.  Ask your grocer if they have a Santa Claus melon for sale.  Allen came home with it.  I had never heard of it.  It was one of the best tasting things I have ever put in my mouth!!!

BTW, I just completed my well woman annual exam.  I had everything poked, prodded and measured.  My blood chemistry continues to be at optimum levels.  If you are a woman, I will pass this tidbit along:  my gynecologist says that the new gold standard is to test all women for HPV.  If your test is negative (and mine was) then he said I can go 5 years before I have to have a pap smear again!  Let's hear it for 5 years in between paps!!!  Woo-hoo!

I hope you are going to your annual physicals.  I know it isn't necessarily fun, but it is so important to stay on top of your health!

Desire to scarf down summer fruits and veges.  Dedication to your annual physical.  Discipline to schedule the appointment and go.

No comments:

Post a Comment