Monday, September 6, 2010

Happy Labor Day!

I hope you have enjoyed a wonderful 3-day holiday. I have!

I have been pondering this: are M&M's evil? I absolutely love M&M's, even though I am not a chocolate lover. There is something about the crunchy-ness of those little bites of tasty yumm.......and I must confess, on Saturday night I gave in to a craving and ate a bag of them. I wasn't hungry, but I was seriousy craving sugar, so I found them and ate them....almost all of them!

Now it isn't the end of the world to eat M&M's, but I have been reflecting ever since on what was going on that I didn't use one of my other (well developed) coping mechanisms, like sip a nice cup of hot tea until the craving subsides. I have been under stress, helping my Mom through a health scare issue. (It looks like she will be just fine.) So, after much self-talk and examination, my conclusion (not an excuse) is that I was stress eating to try to quell the emotion - fear.

I think it is interesting to examine what we are feeding inside of us when hunger is not an issue. So, don't be afraid to learn from your eating urges. We are all on a journey, and learning about ourselves can be the richest part of the journey. Next time you give in and eat something that is not healthy for you, try to pause and ask yourself why. The answer will give you the strength and information to deal with it in a healthier way when the next craving jumps up and waves its arms in your face! :-)

I am listening to a Jillian Michaels' podcast on breaking weight loss plateaus. Next time, I will share what I learn from Jillian. Better yet, her podcasts are free....check it out, you might enjoy it too!

Desire to keep learning and growing. Dedication to be in the moment and to ask yourself "why". Discipline to apply what you learn to the rest of your journey!

1 comment:

  1. Hope all is well with mom. I too "went off plan" this weekend and trying to course correct. going to be difficult during up coming holiday with family out of town! i smell disaster (or is that brisket I smell?).

    ReplyDelete