Saturday, April 17, 2010

Travel IS Broadening! Literally!

Wow! In my former job, I travelled all the time. For the past 2 years, my travel has been minimal, one trip a quarter....really easy to deal with.

Last week I flew to Salt Lake to attend a consultant think tank event with Dave Ulrich in Park City. It was a great meeting and a productive trip. It was also a trip filled with FOOD!!! So it was an interesting opportunity for me to practice what I preach....desire to stay fit, dedication to my goals and discipline to do "push a-ways" from all the food.

As is typical with these sessions, there is an opportunity to literally eat all day. I made good choices and at the same time consumed more than my 1400 allotted calories. I didn't go hog wild, but I did exceed my calories.

I also managed to get in an hour of exercise each day - yay for me! There was a very good hotel gym.

So instead of the bagels for breakfast that were provided, I made myself a plate of the lox, capers and tomates and had that with a small carton of skim (had to ask for non-fat) milk for my breakfast. At lunch I built a salad out of the items on the amazing buffet feast. For dinner, I made a meal out of the appetizers instead of going out to a full dinner with folks. ( a few of us opted for this together). There were grilled chicken on a stick (I had 3) there were beautiful crab cakes (I did have a little sauce to dip them in) and there was a wonderful selection of raw vegetables which I gobbled freely. I drank sparkling water and avoided the alcohol.

The hardest part to control was when snacks were brought into the room. Fortunatley, among the ice cream, cookies, brownies piled high with chocolate bits and caramel, candy bars, M&M's (particularly hard for me to avoid - what can be wrong with such a small piece of food???), bowls of nuts (I did have some - that was actually a bad choice because they are so high in calories)......fortunately there was always also fresh fruit - which I helped myself to.

So, I did not drop a pound this week, instead I am proud of myself for using control and keeping to my exercise - even at the 7,200 altitude!

I am also travelling this week to Toronto and next week to New Jersey....an unusual string of weeks back to back. My goal this week is to stick closer to plan and maintain exercise.

So today, I did an hour of cardio at the gym in addition to my regular Saturday morning yoga. Tomorrow I will do 2 hours of exercise (cardio and weight lifting), because I will not be able to do a workout on Monday with the all day travel and a business dinner when I land.

Wish me luck and strength!

Desire to grow my maintenance skills, dedication to reaching my stretch stretch goal and discipline to avoid the endless food traps in my path!

1 comment:

  1. I love the phrase; "Grow my maintenance skills"! Since MOST of life is maintenance...growing those skills must be the way to success in the long run?! When I read that I had an "Ah-ha" moment, which is; for all the effort to change during a "diet" - and pounds shed during that "diet time"...it's the maintenance skills that will really PAY OFF in the long run! Thanks for the "Ah-ha"!

    ReplyDelete