Sunday, August 12, 2012

One Piece, One Bite

We had a dinner party yesterday for my mother-in-law and her husband, who are visiting from Dayton.  It was a lovely day, but a really long and tiring day.  By the time I got to the dinner portion of the day, I was stressed.  The menu included tons of veges ( jicama, carrots, celery, greeen beans) to pick on as appetizers, even more veges (onions, red and yellow bell pepper, eggplant and zucchini) on the grill with chicken, turkey and/or salmon on the grill.  I supplemented the menu with a brown rice salad full of even more veges (green onions, cherry tomatoes, edamame, black beans and corn).  I didn't repeat one vege!  I also offered grilled garlic bread.  It looked and smelled heavenly.  I ended up sucumbing and enjoying a piece with my dinner of veges, brown rice salad and grilled turkey.

Then to help celebrate my mother-in-law's husband's birthday, we had ordered a coconut cake from Thyme in the Ranch (redonkulously amazing spot in Rancho Santa Fe).  I did not have a piece, but I did eat one bite of the "scrods" as I was cleaning up in the kitchen. 

So, I say...one piece and one bite because I did eat those things but I am completely happy and proud of myself that I did not have more.  When we do eat something off plan, why not consider having a very small portion?  It turns out that I did not feel guilty.  Truthfully, at the end of the evening I was simply too darn tired to feel anything except for my head hitting the pillow!

Desire to enjoy a taste.  Dedication to planning healthy options.   Discipline to stop at just one.

No comments:

Post a Comment