Sunday, February 12, 2012

Am I Insane?

Definition of insanity - doing the same thing and expecting different results....   Another week and no weight loss.  After much soul searching, my conclusion is that I am just not being disciplined enough with my food.  My workouts are awesome, disciplined and consistent.  So I am going back to my ground zero and I am not straying (except Valentine's Day dinner), at least until we go to Italy!

My "ground zero" is a pretty disciplined place.  It will be lean proteins, veges, one fruit a day and one portion of whole grains (think 1/2 cup of quinoa, oats, brown rice or a slice of ezekiel bread) per day.  My goal will be at least one pound a week. 

Why does the word "discipline" get a bad rep?  People who succeed in life are typically disciplined about what they want to accomplish.  Concert musicians, famous sports figures, accomplished authors, amazing chefs, successful business people, competitive atheletes, etc all exhibit discipline.  Discipline is a good thing. Wikipidea says that discipline is the ability to motivate oneself in the face of a negative state; and qualities associated with self-discipline include willpower, hard work, and persistence.

So, I have to discipline myself to eat clean and stay motivated and continue to do so "in the face of a negative state", which for me is food temptation. 

Please help me out and send me mental pixie dust to stay strong in my resolve.  Thanks!

Desire to shed negative food choices. Dedication to not being insane.  Discipline to embrace positive motivation.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Patty! When are you going to Italy!? A trip is great motivation! I'm trying to use a planned trip to Croatia for the same thing, though I do find in my moments of weakness I often think of Croatia but then dismiss it as I scarf down whatever I think will make me feel good in the moment. That sounds more insane to me! I was recently thinking of hanging bathing suits around the kitchen to help remind myself of my goal. :) My husband would definitely call me insane if I did that. The point is, who cares what label anyone puts on it if it works for you. And go easy on yourself - you're following a very sound program that has yielded results for you before. And you've also figured out ways of shaking up your routine to get even more results. You're such an inspiration and I wish we lived closer so I could bask in your discipline more often. There... Maybe instead of hanging bathing suits in the kitchen I'll hang a picture of you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are soooooooo sweet! Thank you! Although I do love the idea of a bathing suit inspired kitchen.....I may do a version of that :-) BTW, I have heard GREAT things about Croatia. Keep me posted if you go. I'm off now to grill some baby bok choy and have it with roasted turkey - yummy!
    Thanks again....my spirits are definitely lifted!

    ReplyDelete